Description: Oria has a medieval old town with winding streets and whitewashed housing. The city, often surrounded by a light haze, was founded according to Herodotus in 1274 BC. by Cretan settlers who, shipwrecked on the coast not far away due to a storm, chose the highest hill to better control the neighboring territories.Piazza Cattedrale opens on the southernmost hill of the municipal area, from which you can enjoy the beautiful panorama that sweeps towards the horizon. The Cathedral was completely rebuilt with a beautiful Baroque facade in 1750, after its destruction due to the 1743 earthquake. The interior has a Latin cross with three naves embellished with numerous paintings of the Neapolitan school. On the back of the Cathedral, leaning against the building is the Palomba Tower, a cylindrical tower belonging to what was once the Messapian city wall. Inside the Bishop's Palace, on the left side of the cathedral, there is the Diocesan Museum "Kalefati", inside there are numerous sacred paintings and furnishings from the city churches.From the same square a road leads to the Castle, an imposing structure built by Federico II of Svevia in 1227 and subsequently enlarged and remodeled. The castle has a triangular plan with mighty fortified walls and towers.