St. Andrews Church is one of the most important in Kiev, a city known in part for its churches and monasteries. It was constructed atop a prominent hill in the middle of the 18th century. The church commemorates St. Andrew, who is alleged to have visited the site of the city on the Dneiper River in the first century AD. It continued to hold services even during the worst period of Stalinist religious repression in the 1930's. Today the church is considered one of the top 2-3 tourist spots in the city.