St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral
AIRVŪZ STAFF NOTE :
The St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral is an important cultural landmark in St. Petersburg, Russia's second-largest city and erstwhile capital. Seen from above in this outstanding drone video by top AirVuz contributor and pilot Flycam24, the Baroque style church is located in the western part of the core city on the Kryukov Canal, a few blocks north of the Fontanka River. Constructed in the mid-18th century, St. Nicholas was the main shrine of the Russian Navy prior to the Russian Revolution in 1917.
Description: St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral (Nikolskiy morskoy sobor) is a major Baroque Orthodox cathedral in the western part of Central Saint Petersburg. It has always been closely associated with the Russian Navy, serving as its main shrine until the Russian Revolution. The marine regimental church was built on the bank of the Kryukov Canal in 1753–1762 to a design by Savva Chevakinsky, the main architect of the Russian Navy, in place of an earlier wooden church. A freestanding four story bell tower with a tall gilded spire was erected in 1755–1758. The main church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas (a patron saint of seamen) and the feast of the Epiphany St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral consists of two separate churches. The lower Saint Nicholas Church is located on the first floor, while the upper Epiphany Church is on the second floor. The altar of the upper church was consecrated in the presence of Catherine the Great. The main shrine of the cathedral—a Greek icon of St. Nicholas made in the 17th century with a portion of his relics—is located in the lower church.