This bridge (Bridge on the River Kwai), also known as Bridge 277, is the most famous part of the Burma Railway. Here the railway crosses the Kware or Mae Klong river. In February 1943, a wooden bridge was first built. This was replaced in June 1943 for a bridge of concrete and steel. The bridge was destroyed on April 2, 1945 by a bombardment of the U.S. 458th Heavy Bombardment Group. After the war, the Japanese helped to repair them again. The two middle segments were then applied. The rest of the bridge is original.