The USS Alabama was the last of four South Dakota class battleships ordered on the eve of World War II. She was launched in February, 1942, just two months after the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor. Armed with nine 16 inch guns, the ship has a length of 210 meters (680 ft.) and displaces abut 45k tons when fully loaded. Initially used to escort convoys to the USSR, the ship was attached to the famous Task Force 34 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October, 1944. Decommissioned in 1947, it is now moored as a museum in Mobile Bay, Alabama.